The Mars Express satellite was launched on the 2nd June 2003 with a planned operational lifetime of 1 Martian year. The mission is still active today.
Scientific goals of the Mars Express instrument payload package
- Global high resolution photo-geology with a resolution of 10m
- Mapping of mineralogical properties of the global surface of Mars with a spatial resolution of 100m
- Study of the structure of the subsurface and the permafrost
- High resolution studies of global atmospheric circulation and chemical composition of the atmosphere.
- Study of the interaction between the surface and the atmosphere.
- Study of the interaction between the atmosphere and the interplanetary medium.